The Boat Studio is working narrow boat that hosts arts residencies, exhibitions, performances and events. We have created a multi-disciplinary, adaptable space; a studio, a meeting place and a platform for music and performing art.
Our aim is to provide artists a truly unique experience, being aboard a narrow boat, encountering the quirks and idiosyncrasies of canal life. The slow pace and the rich and varied source of inspiration found along the towpath provides excellent stimulus for the making of new work.
Throughout this project we wanted to not only establish a novel platform for contemporary art but to invigorate and showcase all that is great and unique about canal life.
Esme Bamber and Rachel Sycamore were chosen to be our first ever artists in residence on The Boat Studio. With much hilarity and sometimes calamity we navigated the Droitwich Loop twice over four days. It was a wonderful moment for us to see the studio being used in the way we envisaged. Both artists responded and used the boat in different ways and our first ever ‘Open Boat’ on the banks of the River Severn was a fab end to the whole experience/experiment. We feel humbled and proud right now and excited about The Boat Studio’s future! Browse through the pictures below!
This summer 2016 The Boat Studio has been adventuring Northwards! We have left Worcester behind, visited Birmingham and have cruised the Shropshire Union all the way to Chester. For the next few months the boat is the safe hands of Dave Southern, friend and street performer who has some exciting plans to use the boat for pop up events in Chester city centre. Exciting times!
Come September we will be then bringing the boat down south for an exciting project starting at the beginning of October. We can’t say much now but for details will be revealed very soon.
Pictures of the refurb
After a years long hard work, online crowdfunding campaigns, art auctions, two fundraiser gigs, portrait painting and merchandise selling we finally bought our boat last September! Have a look below at the pics of before we began any work on it! The difference is dramatic!
Thank you for visiting The Boat Studio page. For more info on our back story please click here
Our maiden voyage! Read our blog detailing our epic journey cross country from Cambridge to Gloucester!
The Boat Studio is still in progress. The costs of keeping a project like this going are high. Please help so we can keep the idea and the boat moving forward!
HOW YOU CAN HELP..
Donate to us! Please!
Click the donate button to make a direct donation to our pay pal account.
1. £5 – BOATY POST CARD! For your pledge we will send you a hand written ‘The Boat Studio’ postcard and give you a shout out on Facebook and Twitter!
2. £10 – PERSONAL PAINTSHOP PORTRAIT BY ELLIE YOUNG!! Email a photo and painter Ellie Young will paint your portrait on paintshop and send it back to you! She is really good! Check out her work at http://ellieyoungart.com/
3. £15 – AWESOME BOATY BADGE! Get a funky custom made Boat Studio badge to snazz up your outfit, a hand written thank you postcard and a shout out on Facebook and Twitter!
4. £25 – ‘THE BOAT STUDIO’ T-SHIRT OR TOTE BAG! With this pledge you get one of our very cool ‘The Boat Studio’ Tote bags or a T-shirt We have a range of colours and sizes and we will contact you directly to ensure you get exactly what you want.
5. £50 – LAUNCH PARTY INVITE! Come to the launch party for The Boat Studio and have free glass of champagne. This will be a special event/exhibition with live music to kick off the summer of residencies. We will also give you Tote bag or T-shirt of your choice!
6. £60 – LIMITED EDITION ARTIST PRINTS! Don’t miss the chance to get one of these limited edition artist prints by Ellie Young and Amber Mottram. We will contact you to choose which one you would like or do a double pledge to get both!
7. £100 – MOVIE NIGHT! As a reward we can offer you and four friends a unique chance to use The Boat Studio as your own private cinema! You can showcase any film of your choice! A great opportunity for a party or to show new art work or to just chill with mates. We’ll provide snacks for the night!
8. £100 – BOATY DAY TRIP! As a reward we will personally chauffeur you and four mates up and down the beautiful Brecon/Monmouth canal! We can take you where you wish and we will even include a home cooked lunch on deck! Dates flexible from June 2015
9. £250 – ROMANTIC WEEKEND GETAWAY! A whole weekend use of the boat! Drift away on our Boat Studio from Friday-Sunday. You and friends can travel, make art and chill on the waters of the stunning Brecon-Monmouth canal. Dates flexible summer 2015
10. £650 – A WEEK LONG BOAT INDULGENCE! A whole week use of the boat. Take some time out to get your creative juices flowing and enjoy cruising up and down the Brecon Monmouth canal on The Boat Studio. Dates to be confirmed
11. £1000 – ONE FOR POSTERITY! We are offering one person the honour of naming our boat! Make your mark permanently by choosing what our boat should be called. We will hand paint the chosen name onto the boat!
Thank you so much for your interest!